Thursday, May 31, 2012

Subbing for Santa

Nice one Santa. My little girl stuck a list in my hand and flew off to New York for the holidays. Her instructions were precise: Santa has a website so you can upload this. She is confident that despite a small slip-up last year Santa has GPS and will know her whereabouts on Christmas Eve. And so the pressure is on — DSI games, crayon designer, Play Doh, a real camera, a real laptop, a real TV, bracelet set and a hair designer. My sons, though unlikely to make a list, quietly await the Xbox Kinnect. Come on Santa, do I look like a department store?

Things change rapidly; all these technology-driven toys are out of date by the time the season is over; and upgrades, add-ons, warranties and online membership appear even before the credit card is cleared. Get a life Elmo and Barbie and stop making me pay for your house, car and that new dance video you need me to download for $19.99. And stop sending me emails!

Of course it doesn't help that my six-year-old knew the difference between real and fake by the time she was two. Her list clearly distinguishes between the plastic crap which took her through the first few Christmases and the real deal which a girl needs. And this is not about me and what I think. This is about my daughter's relationship with Santa.

Santa is the gold standard of behaviour. Santa keeps his word. Santa delivers. Santa is omnipotent and omnipresent. Santa pays the best wages, has the finest global supply chain management, buys from ethical sources, does not harm the environment and keeps his word.

Me? I guess I am just a guy with a list and instructions to upload it to Santa's website. Ho, ho, ho Santa!

No comments: